I don't have a wee little one but I find the little cocoons popping up everywhere are simply adorable!!!!!! They are so sweet and incredibly easy to make! Seriously it is so easy....and they work up really quick if you use super chunky yarn and a large hook! So I decided to whip up this little number and decided to share the pattern just incase anyone wants to make one.
hdc~half double crochet
sl st~slip stitch
sk st~skip stitch
Baby Owl Cocoon and Hat Set
I used really chunky yarn a big value ball from Wal*Mart and a 6mm crochet hook for this pattern.
SL ST=slip stitch
Reverse sc (also known as the crab stitch).
*Crochet Spot has a wonderful tutorial for the revserse single crochet....click here!*
- 10dc in ring, sl st closed (sl st close at the end of every round thru the entire pattern).
- Ch2, dc in same st (do this at the beginning of every round, this will give your cocoon a nice clean seam) then 2dc in each st around.
- Dc in each st around (Do this round twice).
- Dc, dc, dc, 2dc in next st. (for entire round)
- Dc, dc, 2dc in next st. (for entire round)
- Dc in each st (Do this round 4 times).
- Do 10dc around then do 2dc in next st. (for entire round)
- Dc around (Do this round 23 times).
- Reverse sc around (also known as the crab st).
Your work should measure about 12” wide and 17” long….and since I used chunky yarn it had some give and was a bit stretchy and oh so soft, perfect for swaddling your new bundle of joy!
- 10 dc in ring, sl st closed.
- *Ch 2, 1 dc in same st (do this at the beginning of each round)*, 2dc in each st around.
- *Dc, 2dc in next st*(for entire round)
- *Dc, dc, 2dc in next st* (for entire round)
- Dc in each st(do this round 10 times)
- Reverse sc(also known as the crab st), fo and weave in ends.
Eyes (Make 2)
- With black yarn do 7sc in ring
- 2 sc in each st around
- Switch to blue, do 2sc in each st around
- Switch to white, sc, 2sc in next st. (for entire round)
- Sc around, fo and leave a long tail
- Ch 7
- Sc in second ch from hook and the remaining ch's
- Ch 1 turn, sc across
- Ch 1, turn, invdec,sc, sc, invdec
- Ch 1, turn, sc across
- Ch 1, turn, invdec, invdec, fo leave a long tail
Ears (Make 2)
- 6sc in ring
- 2sc in each st